During the hot days of summer can be an especially good time to refresh on a few milk safety tips. Milk tastes the best to your kids and it is the safest when it is cold. Milk should be stored and served between 35° F and 40°F. The following tips will help keep your milk tasting delicious, safe and reduce dairy waste.
When you are buying milk at the store
- Many people buy lots of groceries when they are at the store. Pick up your milk and other cold items last so they don’t get warm while you’re picking up other items.
- When choosing milk, check the “best by” date and pick the furthest date.
- When you get home, take out the dairy foods and store them in the refrigerator right away on a shelf. Do not store your milk on the door shelves. The door is the warmest place in the refrigerator.
When you are at home
- Once you open a carton of milk, it is safe for one week. Milk can be safely frozen for up to 3 months.
- When pouring yourself or your kids a glass of milk, put the milk back in the refrigerator right away.
- If someone does not finish his or her milk, do not return it to the milk container. This can cause harmful bacteria growth.
You play an important role in keeping milk safe for your kids! For more information about milk safety, visit http://www.dairycouncilutnv.com/